Sunday, July 2, 2017

Rome- Colosseum

The Colosseum was the Rome site that I was most excited to visit. It did not disappoint! We decided to do a tour because that is the only way to get access to the underground and top ring levels. Unfortunately, all the English tours sold out on the day they became available. We bought Spanish ones instead. We had a tour guide, and each person got a little audio thing so that we could hear what she said as we walked around. I had downloaded a podcast by Rick Steves from the PBS travel show that I listened to instead, with occasional attempts to listen to the Spanish tour. I could actually understand her pretty well. Being exposed to all the Italian that I 100% did not understand made me realize that I had been understanding more of the Spanish than I was giving myself credit for. 
I never seriously thought I would get to visit the Colosseum. Life is awesome!
Happy to be learning all the facts (or at least more than I knew before)


Re-enactment of actual gladiatorial battle
Except without the death
It is my solemn duty to make sure that all the embarrassing pictures of Stephen get posted.
The underground level was especially cool
Here's a recreation of one of the elevators they used to raise gladiators, animals, and props up to the arena
Barracks or waiting room type hall for gladiators

Two very happy tourists looking down on the top ring
Ruins don't get much cooler than this!
Looking out over the forum from the top of the Colosseum
Looking out over the Arch of Constantine
We're cool. And archy.

No comments:

Post a Comment