Friday, January 30, 2015

Family in Town

People were only in town for a few days, but we managed to get in a few adventures. 

We ate our first home grown oranges! They were delicious!
Mom volunteered to snuggle my baby for me, so I was able to tag along to the Titan Missile Museum and the San Xavier Mission. Both were only semi-successful. The full access tickets at the missile museum were sold out, so we were only able to walk around on the top side and not go down into the silo. 


My dad worked for Arms Control for the State Department back in the '80s, so he was able to give us all sorts of history on the Titan Missile program, which I think was better than anything they would have said on the paid tour. The Titan missile was HUGE! I thought I had seen some big missiles at Raytheon, but they pale in comparison to this 8 story giant. 

Looking down on the missile silo
We still had time after Titan, so we headed over to the San Xavier Mission, which is the oldest European structure in Arizona. It was built by Catholic missionaries to serve the Tohono O'odham people. They still have daily services in the incredibly ornate church. The museum was closed for the day, which is a shame because there is some really cool stuff in there but I couldn't remember many details to impress people on how cool the building is. They will just have to come back someday!

Inside the church

Jacob is a stinker
We checked out the animal statues on the Safari Trail for Avery, but the only picture I had is this one I stole from Joanna. 
Mom, Mom Blood, Elizabeth, and Joanna went shopping for me on Saturday night and got me lots of great new clothes as a birthday present! This is great because I need people to talk me into liking new styles of clothing- I still have some clothes from middle school that I'll still wear. Thanks guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment