Saturday, October 9, 2021

Cactus Harvest

 I did a new thing this year! I was going on a morning jog on the wilderness trail when I came across a short saguaro with some fruit I could reach. It was kind of pink, so I went ahead and picked it. 


Showered version of me with my prize! I mixed the fruit into a bowl of yogurt for breakfast. 

Annie and I both gave saguaro yogurt a thumbs up!

Emboldened by our success, I recruited some helpers to come do a more intense harvest.

You may think that children would be tempted to whack each other with such lovely long sticks. 
You may be right. 
We got it under control with a few targeted threats. 

Our targets

Knocking off the fruit of a relatively short guy. Bree was an excellent catcher. 

It was harder than it looks! Those fruits are stuck on hard and you really have to push to knock them off. 

Saguaro fruit does not have spines on it like prickly pear fruit does unless it gets them from the side of the saguaro. I wore a glove just in case. The fruit was kind of mushy and not all that great by itself. We froze most of it to toss into smoothies. We also froze some to make the first ever Saguapsicles (patent pending, this is going to be big time folks)

Saguaro fruit spread on some peanut butter toast

Of course I also had to do my annual prickly pear harvest. I borrowed Stephen's juicer. The juicer works really well but just takes a long time. Next year we will pick and juice in one day and then do jelly time the next day. 


Behold the glory! A pitcher of prickly pear lemonade, some setting jam, and some canned jelly in the background

No comments:

Post a Comment